Sunday, December 14, 2008

Baklava the aftermath



Since I don't follow recipes well I deviated from the original recipe.

For a start I didn't have a square baking tin, so I used an oval roasting dish. Not a huge problem, just make sure to trim the filo to fit.

Grinding up the nuts initially proved more of a challenge than I thought it would. I don't have a big food processor, so I had earmarked my coffee/ spice grinder for the task. Unfortunately it wasn't up to it so I was forced to go back to basics. A sandwich bag and a rolling pin came to the rescue, for a chunky nut layer.

I also added some hazelnuts since i had them.

For whatever reason, the maverick in me took over for the syrup..  I didn't bother measuring anything.
 a glassful of water
 a few teaspoons of brown and castor suger. 
As I didn't have orange bossom water (who does).. I put in some lemon juice and orange juice
Stick of cinamon, and nutmeg,
honey and maple syrup.

Mine worked quite well.. I quite liked the lemony flavour, but I didn't make nearly enough.. My one pice of advice for this dish is be generous with the syrup.. You can't have too much. The whole backlava should be dripping in the delicious syrup.

We had Greek (style) yogurt with ours

Looking on the web there are a couple of other recipes

Might try adding some suger and honey with the nuts and grinding some of them finer  next time. might make for a better combination.


No comments:

Post a Comment