Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Winter Vegetarian Pasta

Saw this recipe on a newspaper. Pity I didn't take it down, as it sounded quite good. So good in fact that I tried to recreate it from memory, so what follows is my recollection of the recipe.

The ingredients are a real autumn/ winter set... butternut squash, mushrooms, chestnuts (I think the original recipe was pine nuts). Plus I've been wanting to use mascarpone in a recipe for a long time...

The amounts are all very approximate. I tend to just throw in what I think looks like the right amount

Ingredients (this made enough for 3 -4)
150g mascarpone
1 clove minced garlic
2 small onions
decent sized handful of chopped mushrooms
decent sized handful of chopped butternut squash
1 tbl dijon mustard (I used maille)
1 tbl oil/ butter for frying
small handful of shelled chestnuts
Pasta.. I used
Fresh parsley to serve.

some water to loosen the mixture.

Technique
Crush up chestnuts and place in a try under the grill to toast. Careful they don't burn.
Gently fry off the minced garlic and onion in oil for about 2 minutes
Start pasta boiling in salty water. (should take approx. 12 mins)
Add butternut squash and fry for another 6 minutes.
Add mushrooms and continue to fry for another 6 mins.
Add mascarpone, dijon mustard, and some water until it is the desired consistency.
Drain pasta and throw into pan with other ingredients, and coat in sauce.
Season with salt and black pepper, add some fresh herbs to serve.

Delicious with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc

No comments:

Post a Comment